nonimmigrant work visas

Many people come to the United States for a temporary period of time to work in specific jobs on nonimmigrant work visas. A company can sponsor a foreign national for a nonimmigrant visa, and it is important to remember there are different types. The following is a brief overview of commonly used work visas.

H-1B – This is perhaps the most popular type of nonimmigrant work visa. An applicant must have a job offer from a company in the U.S. to work in a speciality occupation. You must show you have the education, skills, and training needed to perform the job. The company must sponsor you and file the right petition for your visa.

L-1 – This nonimmigrant visa goes to people who work for a foreign corporation that is in affiliation with a U.S. corporation, and they want to transfer to work at the U.S. location for a period of time. You can also apply for a visa to establish a U.S. branch of a foreign corporation. You must have specific experience working for the company prior to the company applying for your visa.

O-1 – You can only qualify for this nonimmigrant visa if you have extraordinary abilities in a field and want to work in that field in the U.S. You must have an offer to work, as well as prove some of the following:

  • You earn a high salary due to your expertise or talent
  • You’ve made an original contribution to the field of work
  • You received awards or achievements for your work
  • You played a leading or critical role in your field

This visa often applies to athletes, famous actors, models, singers, or similar jobs.

TN – This visa is only available for people from Mexico or Canada and you must have a job offer in a specific position that qualifies for this visa.

Consult with an Immigration Lawyer in Los Angeles for More Information

The Gold Law Group helps employers obtain all types of nonimmigrant visas for employees. Call 323.394.1281 or contact us online to discuss how we can assist you.